Monday, October 5, 2009

Giving Advice

I used to get pretty offended and frustrated when I gave advice and it wasn't followed or just ignored. The idea behind this was that I had just spent so much time thinking up and giving advice or a critique and it was just ignored. It, to a rather large degree, trivialized me and my opinion. However, that has changed for me. I now no longer care if people follow my advice or listen to my criticisms anymore. Ultimately, I've done what I was asked to do, whether it be because it was a duty of mine or I was feeling generous with my time, I did it and if it's not followed, who cares? Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that my advice is just that, advice and if whomever it was given to doesn't want to follow it, then they don't have to. For better or worse, it doesn't effect me.

Ultimately, the way I've broken it down in my mind is "I have nothing to gain from your following or not following my advice. My advice is for you, it's trying to help you, you can take it or leave it, it's no hair off my back what you decide to do,". I'm not sure, but this may be a sign that I'm starting to care a lot less of what people think of me, which is probably a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment